Clara De La Hoz
cdelahozdelreal [at] gmail.com
Clara DE LA HOZ is a PhD candidate at the University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines. Her research focuses on environmental migrations in Colombia. Studies on Human migration and displacement in Colombia have been historically linked to the long-standing internal armed conflict and its socio-economic impacts. Climate change has been widely analyzed from the perspective of disaster risk management. In 2010, massive flooding associated to the “La Niña” phenomenon affected millions of people across the country, and forced thousands of them to leave their home. Extreme climate related events appeared as a possible driver of mobility in the country.
The research examines the links between human displacement and environmental hazards in Northern Colombia. In particular, it focuses on the impacts of religious and spiritual beliefs on resilience of populations displaced by a natural disaster in the context of present and future climate change. It aims to provide analytical, theoretical and methodological insights to deepen and broaden knowledge and understanding of the complex mechanisms and processes structuring the so-called climate displacement in the country.
Since 2014: PhD candidate in Environmental Migrations, UVSQ, France.
2008-2009: Master’s Degree in Agricultural Development, International Economics and Food Security, University of Paris Sud.
2007-2008: Master’s Degree in Humanitarian Aid, Development and Management of NGOs. University of Paris Est.
2005-2006: Licence in Political Science. University of Panthéon Assas, Paris.
2003-2005: DEUG in Sociology. University René Descartes, Paris.
2014: Gender issues, ECHO. Brussels, Belgium.
2012: Food Security Policy Training, SENA. Bogotá, Colombia.
2009: Food Security Training (sponsored by the European Union), Paris, France.
2008: Disasters Preparedness Training USAID, Bogotá, Colombia.
Humanitarian assistance and Development projects Officer:
2014: NGO Islamic Relief France.
2009-2013: United Nations World Food Programme.
2008: United Nations OCHA.
Research and Academic Experience:
- External Advisor – Research Project on climate displaced populations in Colombia (INFANTIA). January-December 2015. Universidad del Norte. Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Panelist at the Side Event to the 21th Conference of Parties (COP 21) on climate change « Environmental Migration in the world ». December 2015. CIDCE. Paris, France.
- Panelist at the 15th Conference of the International Association for Studies in Forced Migration (IASFM). Panel on Climate Migrations. July 2014. Bogota, Colombia.
- Jury member. Master’s « International Humanitarian Action and NGO ». University of Paris XII. Mai 2014. Paris, France.
- Panelist at a seminar on Food Assistance and Food Security. University of Paris XII. February 2014. Paris, France.
- Panelist at a Forum on Climate Displacement in Colombia. Panel on Resilience, Food Security and Climate Displacement. November 2013. Universidad Del Norte. Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Jury member. Master’s « International Humanitarian Action and NGO ». University of Paris XII. Mai 2013. Paris, France.
Last revision date: January 2016